Why OSRS doesn't get FTP ?

People from all around can discuss anything here! Do not start fights, we will not hesitate to ban.
Vornollo
Retired Member
Retired Member
RS display name: Vornollo
Discord ID: Vorn#6040
RS3/OSRS: OSRS

Post by Vornollo » 24 Jan 2014, 18:01

Southampton9,(time=1390582702) wrote:F2P in old times was the doorway to getting a lot of members. I think making OSRS P2P only has been a fatal mistake made by Jagex
And that's the thing: In OLD TIMES.
Nomatter how much I'd love to see OSRS made F2P (Everyone knows I do), it wouldn't work.
The pool of potential NEW players will be scared of by the honestly horrible graphics. To us, they're lovely and nostalgic, to newbies though...

The benefit OSRS would have from F2P would only be small, short and limited and it's really only good for us old school F2P PvP-ers.
Well, the F2P PvP community has been dwindling real rapidly for years, both due to horrible updates where JaGeX went from tossing noobs towards the lions for fun, to taking them by the hand and doing EVERYTHING they could possibly do, to keep low-levelled, inexpierenced players out of PvP. Aswell as (and this is in my opinion the most prominent reason) due to the fact that the F2P PvP community is just shit. It's loaded with trolls, flamers and ignorant egocentric retards that all cry about their dieing community without doing squat about it to fix it, starting with themselves.

There, my own rant on the F2P PvP clan world aside.
F2P will come to OSRS most likely. There's a ton of P2P-ers (with who I mean those who had never set foot in F2P pre-EoC after their initial membership, bluntly put) who think that they need F2P-ers to attract new players.
OSRS is not attractive at all to modern-day gamers, we'll have to face that.

But because there's so many paying customers who are incapable of thinking long-term JaGeX has allready said to be inclined and having (almost daily) hefty discussions on the F2P OSRS topic, to add F2P to it.
Be patient and continue to keep noobs ranting about it (they got to you Candy! Where for the love of Steve did it go wrong!?) and before 2014's over and OSRS is still alive around then; you'll get F2P.
Like they said; OSRS will be made BY IT'S PLAYERS.
If their players want F2P, by their own rules; They'll give them F2P.

Oh no, wait... Then RS3 would die and Mod Mark lynched by the companies that own his balls.
Should OSRS get F2P sooner or later (and yes, I really hope it does); it'd be good for the game.
Right now; Being a Rune Pure is heading rapidly down to path where it's the cheapest kind of Character build. Most of the Rune Items have reached Alch-Price, Green D'hide is worthless and Black D'Hide is taking over the Armor Market for mid-level range.
Having F2P would cause the economy to be more balanced again and it'd make lower levelled skilling more profitable again.
There'd be a need for things like lobsters again to name something.

And yes; I think many of the players who played OSRS the first month(s) of it's initial release, but then quit for whatever reasons. Would come back to play on-and-of as F2P-ers.
There's also a fair big bunch of RS3 F2P-ers who would like nothing more but to hop over to OSRS, should it become F2P.

But... That'd be bad for RS3...

To conclude my long post, my rants and a lot of dead-ending mindflows...
OSRS will not get F2P until RS3 has found a functional way to get new players coming in on a steady basis, up to a point where they can afford to lose a bit of their older F2P-loving playerbase to go and enjoy OSRS.
OR, until the OSRS team is faced by the threat of losing limbs from replying to all rants by their current playerbase to "please add f2p or we'll have you die along with the game we love." and decides to add F2P if they're given a go for it. (which will probably mean my first conclusion was right!)
"A man who uses his hands is a laborer. One who uses his hands and mind is a craftsman. He who uses his hands, and his mind, and his heart is an artist."
St. Francis

Clan Europe Awards

Former Ranks:
2005 - 2006, White Warriors Commander
2006 - 2008, Death Company Clan Advisor
2008 - 2010, Legendz Leader
2010 - 2010, Invoke Toruk Leader
2009 - 2010, Valkyries Co-Leader
2009 - 2011, True 0wnage Council
2011 - 2011, Semper Fidelis Advisor
2011 - Present, Clan Europe Retired Leader-Administrator
Vorn @ QuakeNet IRC
Marc| @ ShitIRC
Vorn#6040 @ Discord

Kikkertje70
Retired Member
Retired Member

Post by Kikkertje70 » 24 Jan 2014, 18:11

I'm pretty tired of having this discussion as its been made on pretty much any forum rs related so i cba giving my opinion

but guys, no need to flame eachother or get in a fight over something silly as this, be mature and respect eachothers opinions

Kila

Post by Kila » 24 Jan 2014, 21:41

Most players can't be asked to start over (such as me).
Even If they do bring a F2p version of OSRS it's like giving a dying pacient an injection. It will make him better in the short run but it won't save him.
I'll just leave it at that.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
Image Image Image ImageImageImage

Jelle
Co-Leader
Co-Leader

Post by Jelle » 24 Jan 2014, 23:44

I share my opinion with Kila.

07scape was great for nostalgia, but as the game progressed it became a private server.

CandySCL
Senior clan: Lithuanian Mighty!
RS display name: CandySCL

Post by CandySCL » 25 Jan 2014, 01:07

Vornollo wrote:trolls, flamers and ignorant egocentric retards that all cry about their dieing community without doing squat about it to fix it, starting with themselves.
I'm not that bad... Well okay, maybe I am.

kila wrote:Most players can't be asked to start over (such as me).
Even If they do bring a F2p version of OSRS it's like giving a dying pacient an injection. It will make him better in the short run but it won't save him.
I'll just leave it at that.
Hate to say but I think you're right.

However, let's not forget that OSRS could get growing. The game is getting some updates and acctual attention to pvp. And players get to vote what they want etc.

We don't know what would happen if OSRS got FTP and acctual good gameplay but I believe that it has the potential to acctualy grow and have a decent playerbase. Why? Because graphics don't metter that much.

I'm serious.

Take games for example:
Thomas was alone.
Teleglitch.
Blade Hunter.
Or stanley parable

Those games have amazing gameplay but graphics or estetics vise... Not so much.

Games don't need to have AMAZING graphics to be playable. Look at RS3 for exmple. Game has one of THE BEST graphics. Is it played or attractive? Not so much. It's played more by old school'ers and isn't gaining much of a new player base.

Such game as stanley parable doesn't have amazing graphics. Those are average. It doesn't have any complex mechanics or any skill involved yet so many people recommended it to friends, made YT videos that it became so much popular.

And for those who play "the next gen" games, would they play RS3 when it has all those graphics? Probably not.

All i'm saying that if a game had a chance to grow it could and we can't tell for sure that it would die out. Maybe it would have stable good player base for next 10 years? Who knows.

P.S. This turned out to be a very nice topic and i'm very pleased with it. Thanks for all the opinions I enjoyed reading them.

P.P.S. About flaming... Nah i hope you didn't get too much offended for me calling you dumb. I don't really think that you are dumb I just kinda got irratated by your first sentence in this topic, Rosie Taylor.

Empire God
Clan Friend
Clan Friend

Post by Empire God » 25 Jan 2014, 09:05

I sure missed Candy the keyboard warrior :) Good to see you posting essays again
Sig died. Rip.

What EOC has done to our dear Tom

Miroorules
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Miroorules » 25 Jan 2014, 09:47

You're right.

Thomas was alone.
Teleglitch.
Blade Hunter.
Or stanley parable

They have huuuuge sales, and are extremely popular...

/sarcasm.

Most people that play are (semi-) old players. People who started in 2004-2008. New people don't easily get attached to RS due to the graphics (and non-interactive point and click system in an adventure game). Most players didn't "just" quit over EoC. They quit along the years, because they turned 20 and went to college, got a busy job, got a kiddo, etc. Life gets busier, people move on to other games, newer games. Making OSRS f2p would perhaps get back some players, but probably not as many as you'd think, or hope. The revenue Jagex would miss would outweigh the "positive" stream of new or returning players. New people wouldn't even know about OSRS, so only people who quit might return, but most won't. So if Jagex decide to make it f2p, they would simply throw away membership, which they could've used to improve other parts of the game in production teams.

/rant.
Spring Awards 2015
ImageImage
Runner up for Spring Awards 2014: Best Ranger. Although I had not ranged in a single war. I rock.

CandySCL

Post by CandySCL » 25 Jan 2014, 16:51

Miroorules,(time=1390643248) wrote:You're right.

Thomas was alone.
Teleglitch.
Blade Hunter.
Or stanley parable

They have huuuuge sales, and are extremely popular...

/sarcasm.

Most people that play are (semi-) old players. People who started in 2004-2008. New people don't easily get attached to RS due to the graphics (and non-interactive point and click system in an adventure game). Most players didn't "just" quit over EoC. They quit along the years, because they turned 20 and went to college, got a busy job, got a kiddo, etc. Life gets busier, people move on to other games, newer games. Making OSRS f2p would perhaps get back some players, but probably not as many as you'd think, or hope. The revenue Jagex would miss would outweigh the "positive" stream of new or returning players. New people wouldn't even know about OSRS, so only people who quit might return, but most won't. So if Jagex decide to make it f2p, they would simply throw away membership, which they could've used to improve other parts of the game in production teams.

/rant.
stanley parable isn't popular ? lol...

I agree with you. I don't expect those 200k player peak times. Not at all. But 30k-50k is posible IMO.

What costs you are talking about ? How much would it cost to make half of the members worlds FTP ? They are near empty aniways.

Those where members would more likely stay members.

About servers usage:
Players online when i checked right now: 19623
available servers slots: 156000

Generaly unused slots: 136377

Ok let's take that 130000 slots is mainly not used.

let's divide them in 2:
65000 / 2000 = 33 FTP worlds while not spending a penny.

Considering how big members world is and there is only ~200 players in each would kinda squeeze up the members space but god damn that's not that bad. I'd assume that average playerbase per world would be ~400.

IIRC when peak times were 150k it the higher people per world number was higher.

Please LET ME SEE where there is some problems or A COMMON SENCE REASON that makes FTP not possible in OSRS?

Vornollo
Retired Member
Retired Member
RS display name: Vornollo
Discord ID: Vorn#6040

Post by Vornollo » 25 Jan 2014, 23:13

CandySCL,(time=1390612032) wrote:Games don't need to have AMAZING graphics to be playable. Look at RS3 for exmple. Game has one of THE BEST graphics. Is it played or attractive? Not so much. It's played more by old school'ers and isn't gaining much of a new player base.
No they don't.
But the Gameplay in OSRS isn't all that interesting even when compared to RS3 (which is buggy and broken still...).

If it was really all just about amazing PvP, then Dark Age of Camelot would still be as lively as it was in 2002 to name something.

No, the sad story of OSRS is that it is simply only interesting to those people who actually played the old(er) version(s) of RuneScape (ofcourse, there's always a number of exceptions).
Regardless of how much we'd love to see OSRS suceed, it's not the time for it, not with this community atleast.

Community... Like you said, YouTube for one can generate players. That's how RS has gotten a lot of players back in the day. I had friends who knew the videos of I Kasoy I and Chrisridder at heart without even being into RS.
Not to mention other silly things like the good old fashioned RSMV's, regardless of how retarded they were, there was a younger kind of audience for those aswell and they'd come to check it out. (it's like trying to sell blankets for women, add a kitten or baby to your ad and they'll sell themselves! In this metaphore, RS is the blanket, flashy RS videos are the kittens/babies)

To make OSRS suceed, it needs a good, active and most of all ATTRACTIVE community.
F2P isn't even necesary if there's enough solid, good footage to be found that can pull people into the game.
F2P is really just a means to "speed up" the process.

After all; The Players make OSRS, right..? Right? :unsure:
"A man who uses his hands is a laborer. One who uses his hands and mind is a craftsman. He who uses his hands, and his mind, and his heart is an artist."
St. Francis

Clan Europe Awards

Former Ranks:
2005 - 2006, White Warriors Commander
2006 - 2008, Death Company Clan Advisor
2008 - 2010, Legendz Leader
2010 - 2010, Invoke Toruk Leader
2009 - 2010, Valkyries Co-Leader
2009 - 2011, True 0wnage Council
2011 - 2011, Semper Fidelis Advisor
2011 - Present, Clan Europe Retired Leader-Administrator
Vorn @ QuakeNet IRC
Marc| @ ShitIRC
Vorn#6040 @ Discord

CandySCL

Post by CandySCL » 25 Jan 2014, 23:19

Vornollo,(time=1390691607) wrote:
CandySCL,(time=1390612032) wrote:Games don't need to have AMAZING graphics to be playable. Look at RS3 for exmple. Game has one of THE BEST graphics. Is it played or attractive? Not so much. It's played more by old school'ers and isn't gaining much of a new player base.
No they don't.
But the Gameplay in OSRS isn't all that interesting even when compared to RS3 (which is buggy and broken still...).

If it was really all just about amazing PvP, then Dark Age of Camelot would still be as lively as it was in 2002 to name something.

No, the sad story of OSRS is that it is simply only interesting to those people who actually played the old(er) version(s) of RuneScape (ofcourse, there's always a number of exceptions).
Regardless of how much we'd love to see OSRS suceed, it's not the time for it, not with this community atleast.

Community... Like you said, YouTube for one can generate players. That's how RS has gotten a lot of players back in the day. I had friends who knew the videos of I Kasoy I and Chrisridder at heart without even being into RS.
Not to mention other silly things like the good old fashioned RSMV's, regardless of how retarded they were, there was a younger kind of audience for those aswell and they'd come to check it out. (it's like trying to sell blankets for women, add a kitten or baby to your ad and they'll sell themselves! In this metaphore, RS is the blanket, flashy RS videos are the kittens/babies)

To make OSRS suceed, it needs a good, active and most of all ATTRACTIVE community.
F2P isn't even necesary if there's enough solid, good footage to be found that can pull people into the game.
F2P is really just a means to "speed up" the process.

After all; The Players make OSRS, right..? Right? :unsure:
Very true :)